Strata consists of layers of bread and vegetables over which an egg and cheese mixture is poured. It’s excellent for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. It needs to sit for at least an hour and preferably longer before baking.
4 slices whole-grain bread, or enough to cover bottom of baking dish
2 c sliced zucchini or summer squash
2 c grated Cheddar, or other, cheese
2 T butter, melted, or extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 c milk
1/4 c minced onion or scallion
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dry mustard
1/8 t cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Grease an 8- x 8-inch baking dish, or other baking dish of a similar size. Line the dish with the bread, cutting the bread, if necessary, to fit.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the zucchini slices and gently boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, then run cold water over the slices to stop the cooking. Pat dry.
3. Combine the zucchini, cheese, and melted butter or olive oil in a bowl. Layer this mixture over the bread.
4. In the same bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, onion, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne. Pour this over the zucchini layer.
5. Refrigerate the strata for at least an hour or overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake the strata for 40 to 50 minutes, until it is puffed, set and browned. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.