This is a deconstructed version of cabbage rolls.
1 head green cabbage, about 1-1/2 to 2 lbs, quartered
1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
2 – 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, divided
1/4 t salt
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 lb ground meat, or crumbled tempeh
salt and pepper, to taste
2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1-28 oz can tomatoes in juice
3 T red wine vinegar, or other vinegar
1. Place cabbage quarters in a large, deep skillet along with broth, 1/3 of the sliced garlic, and 1/4 t salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is very tender, about 45 minutes. Every now and then, carefully turn cabbage quarters over, and add more broth if necessary.
2. Meanwhile, in another skillet or saucepan, nonreactive this time, over medium heat, add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until onion is golden. Add ground meat or tempeh, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, or the tempeh is heated through.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and vinegar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes become saucy, 15 to 20 minutes. Break up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon while stirring. Taste for seasonings.
4. Pour tomato sauce into the skillet with the cabbage and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spoon the tomato sauce over the cabbage wedges as it simmers.
5. Serve over or alongside cooked rice.