Chocolate Yogurt Sauce/Dip
1/2 c plain yogurt
3 T cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy, or to taste
3 T maple syrup or agave, to taste
1. Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Taste. Add more cocoa if you like, or more yogurt, etc. Then transfer to individual cups for dipping, or spoon over prepared strawberries.
Chocolate Caramel Sauce/Dip
Bring the cream to room temperature, or heat gently, enough to take the chill off. Adding cold cream can cause the sugar to seize up, giving you lumpy bits of sugar in the sauce/dip. If you don’t have solid chocolate, you can use 6 T of cocoa powder mixed into 2 T soft or melted butter (you might not then need the 1 T of butter in the recipe)–you might also need to increase the initial amount of sugar some if the cocoa is unsweetened.
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c heavy cream
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
a pinch of sea salt
a pinch of chili powder, or to taste, optional, but interesting
1 T unsalted butter
1. Put sugar in a heavy saucepan. Shake to distribute sugar evenly. Put over a medium heat and let cook, without stirring, until the sugar begins to melt, a couple of minutes. Then cook. stirring occasionally, until sugar is melted, another couple of minutes.
2. Remove from heat. While stirring, pour cream in. The mixture may bubble up. Lower heat, return saucepan to heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture is emulsified.
3. Take pan off heat, add chocolate pieces, salt, and chili powder, if using, and stir until chocolate has melted. Add butter and stir until butter has melted and in incorporated.
4. Cool some before enjoying with your strawberries.