A combination of herbs is especially tasty…
5 c chicken or vegetable stock
6 T grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 T fresh cream
2 – 4 heaping T fresh, chopped herbs
5 T unsalted butter, divided
1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 bunch spinach (stemmed), cut into strips
1-1/2 c Arborio rice
1/2 c white wine, optional
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring the stock to a simmer, turn heat to low and keep hot.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 T of the grated Parmesan, the cream and the herbs. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, melt 4 T of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until tender. Then add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Cook for two minutes, stirring. Add the white wine, if using, and stir until evaporated.
4. Add one cup of the hot stock and stir until absorbed. Continue adding stock in 1/2 cup increments, allowing each addition to be absorbed until adding more. You don’t have to stir continuously, just enough to keep the rice from sticking. After about 20 minutes from the time you added the first cup of stock, start tasting the rice–it should be tender with still a tiny bit of crunch (al dente); the mixture will also be a little soupy. Stir in the remaining 4 T of Parmesan and take the skillet off the heat.
5. Add the remaining 1 T of butter and the herb mixture . Mix well and cover. Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.