This is a nice, simple dessert, delicious on its own, or served with ice cream, cream (whipped or not), crème fraîche, or yogurt (frozen or refrigerated). The recipe amounts are for 4 nectarines and/or peaches, increase or decrease amounts as necessary.
4 T butter or coconut oil, melted, divided
4 nectarines and/or peaches, halved and pitted
1/3 c toasted nuts–walnuts, almonds, pecans, pine nuts, etc., or a combination
1/3 c all purpose flour, white or whole grain
3 – 4 T sugar
1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Use 1 T of the melted butter or coconut oil to grease a baking dish or pie pan large enough to comfortably hold the fruit. Arrange nectarines and/or peaches cut side up.
3. Combine the remaining butter or coconut oil, nuts, flour, and sugar in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is clumpy and has the texture of wet sand. Or, you can crush the nuts and mix everything together in a bowl. This is the streusel.
4. Top nectarines and/or peaches with the streusel and bake until the fruit is tender and the streusel is browned, around 20 minutes, depending on the size of the fruit. If you are using some leftover canning peaches, they will take about 10 minutes longer to become tender. If the topping looks like it might be burning, cover loosely with foil.
5. Allow to rest 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature with above-mentioned accompaniments, if you like.