More roasting goodness. To toast nuts or seeds, put in a frying pan over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 10 minutes. You can also do them in an oven–for this recipe roast them before the green beans, at 300°F, for about 10 minutes, then remove and crank up the oven for the main event.
3 c green beans (about 1 lb), trimmed
1 1/2 c thinly sliced sweet onion rings or wedges
1 – 2 T vegetable oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 T balsamic or other red wine vinegar
1 t maple syrup or honey or agave
1 T minced fresh herb or 1 t dried herb
1 – 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
1/3 c toasted nuts or seeds
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Put beans and onions on baking sheet. Toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out. Roast for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients except nuts.
4. Remove baking sheet from oven. Drizzle dressing over and toss to coat, preferably with tongs or two large spoons. Return to oven and roast another 10 – 15 minutes, until beans have started to shrivel and are dark in spots.
5. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with toasted nuts or seeds.