The apples, turnips, and garlic are roasted alongside and underneath the chicken, then are mashed into a totally delicious purée to serve alongisde the chicken. The roasting times for the chicken will depend on the size of the chicken and your own roasting method. I roast chicken at 400ºF–I made this with a 4-1/2 pound chicken and it roasted to perfection in just over an hour. You can also use chicken pieces, if you like–put in a single layer over the vegetables.
1 T paprika, sweet or smoked
salt and pepper, to taste
1 whole chicken or chicken pieces
3 medium apples, (peeled), cut into eighths
3 medium turnips, quartered, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled
olive or other oil
2 T lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to your preferred roasting temperature.
2. Combine paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub chicken inside and out with mixture.
3. Combine apples, turnips, and garlic in roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat. Place chicken on top. Sprinkle lemon juice over all.
4. Roast until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Baste with pan juices a few times while chicken is roasting.
5. When chicken is done, remove it to a serving platter. If there’s a lot of fat, pour some off, if you wish. Mash vegetables with a potato masher or scrape them into a food processor and purée, adding some of the fat/pan juices. Serve separately alongside chicken.