The recipe calls for pumpkin, but most winter squash can sub.
1 c cooked and mashed pumpkin or other winter squash
2 large eggs, beaten
1 c sugar (or less, to taste)
3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t baking powder
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t salt
1/2 c peeled, chopped apple
1/2 c chopped walnuts
whipped cream, ice cream, or confectioner’s sugar, for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the winter squash, eggs, and sugar. Beat well. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Fold in the apple and walnuts. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto the rack and cool completely.
5. To serve, turn the cake top-side up. Serve plain or with whipped cream or ice cream; or dust with confectioners’ sugar.