This is truly awesome. Try it with other fruit. There is a recipe for homemade coconut milk following the recipe.
2 to 3 ripe peaches
1 c coconut milk
1/4 c sugar
2 ice cube trays
shredded coconut (optional)
1. Peel and pit peaches. Cut them into chunks.
2. Place the peach chunks into a food processor along with the coconut milk and sugar. Process until smooth. Ladle or pour the puree into ice cube trays. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
3. About 15 minutes before you are going to serve this, take the trays out of the freezer. Let them temper (soften) for 15 minutes (check after 10). Pop them out of the trays back into the food processor. You will probably have to do this in batches. Puree until smooth.
4. Ladle into individual bowls or glasses, sprinkling with some shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened), if you like.
5. The sorbet puree, frozen in cubes, can be kept in the freezer in freezer bags for up to 2 weeks.
Homemade Coconut Milk
This is cheap, easy and delicious. You can make coconut milk thick or thin, depending on the proportions of water to coconut; this recipe is fairly rich, equivalent to canned coconut milk. The coconut can be reused to make a thinner milk from a second pressing.
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 c very hot water
1. Combine the coconut with 2 cups very hot water in a blender. Pulse on and off quickly, then turn on the blender and let it work for 15 seconds or so (take care that the top of the blender stays in place). Let sit for a few minutes.
2. Put through a strainer, pressing to extract as much of the liquid as possible. Discard or compost the solids (unless reusing) and use the milk immediately, or store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a few days.