No tomato sauce in this recipe. I like to use the larger amount (4 cups) of greens. If you don’t have cooked greens on hand, wash and coarsely chop greens and drop them into the boiling water that you’ll be using to cook the lasagna noodles. Cook until tender, remove with tongs, drain, then squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
9 lasagna noodles
2 – 4 c coarsely chopped cooked greens
2 lb small-curd cottage cheese (or ricotta)
2 eggs, beaten
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
salt and pepper
handful fresh basil or parsley, chopped
1/2 lb Monterey Jack cheese, (or your choice), coarsely grated
1 c Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
additional grated Parmesan for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking pan.
2. Cook lasagna according to package directions and drain. Run pasta under cold water, drain again and lay flat in a single layer on a dish cloth or paper towels until needed. (Or use no-cook lasagna noodles.)
3. Combine cottage cheese, beaten eggs, garlic, seasonings, and basil or parsley. Mix until well blended.
4. Place a layer of noodles in greased baking pan. Spread half the cottage cheese mixture on top, followed by half the greens and half the grated cheeses. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of noodles. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest about 10 minutes before serving.