Other fruits, especially berries, can sub for the plums–or try a combination of fruits…
1/2 c water
1/4 c sugar, or to taste
1 c plums, pitted and sliced
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 T water or milk
4 slices bread
3 T butter
confectioner’s sugar for sprinkling, optional
1. To poach plums: In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook until a thin syrup forms, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the plums and continue to cook, stirring often, until the plums soften, another 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
3. For French Toast: In a shallow baking dish or bowl, combine the eggs and water or milk and beat them lightly. Add the bread in a single layer, or in batches, soaking the first side 1 to 2 minutes, then turning and soaking the other side.
4. In a large frying plan, melt the butter over medium heat until it foams. Add the bread and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook the other side until it, too, is golden. This may not take as long as the first side. You may need to do this in batches.
5. Serve French Toast with some of the warm poached plums and their sauce spooned over, sprinkled with a little confectioner’s sugar, if desired.