If you don’t want to purée the soup, chop the carrots and turnips finely.
3 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t black mustard seeds or 1/4 t powdered mustard
1 t curry powder, or to taste
1 T grated fresh ginger
2 large carrots, (peeled), coarsely chopped
2 medium turnips, (peeled), coarsely chopped
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
5 c water or broth
2 t lemon juice
yogurt or sour cream, for serving
1. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add coriander, mustard, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, for one minute. Add grated ginger and cook, stirring, for another minute.
2. Add the chopped carrots and turnips. Stir to coat with the oil and spices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the water or broth. Bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Cool soup for a bit. Reserve one cup of the soup liquid. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender or food processor.
4. Return soup to pot. If it’s too thick add the reserved liquid in 1/4 cup increments until the consistency is to your liking. Stir in lemon juice. Taste for seasonings.
5. Serve, with yogurt or sour cream.