You can serve the salad two ways: in a bowl mixed together; or on a platter, with the cucumbers underneath and the beets on top–attractively arranged, of course.
2 large cucumbers
1 t salt
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 T sherry vinegar (or balsamic or red wine vinegar)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 scallion, minced
1 T minced fresh basil or parsley (or both)
1/2 t salt
1/4-lb feta cheese, crumbled
1. Trim cucumbers and slice into thin rounds. Place in a colander and mix in salt. Let drain while you cook the beets.
2. Cook beets. Roast or boil until tender (about 45 minutes, either way). Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, scallion, herbs and 1/2 t salt.
3. Rinse cucumbers and blot dry. Put the cucumbers in the dressing and stir to coat well.
4. Peel beets, if desired. Half, then slice thinly. Remove cucumber slices from bowl with a slotted spoon and arrange on a platter. Or keep in bowl. Add beet slices to bowl. Stir to combine. After a bit, remove beets with a slotted spoon and mound over cucumbers on platter, leaving an edge of cucumbers visible. Or keep in bowl.
5. Sprinkle crumbled feta over either preparation.