2 large carrots (as accompaniment)
1 1/2 lbs carrots
4 c broth or water, plus extra if needed
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t fresh ginger juice (from a 3-inch piece of fresh ginger)
1/2 c heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Peel carrots, if you wish. Cut in half lengthwise, then into half moons. Put on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until soft. Let cool.
2. Trim the 1 1/2 pounds of carrots. (Peel.) Cut into 1-inch pieces. Put them into a soup pot with the broth or water and salt. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and cook, covered, for 35 minutes, or until the carrots are very soft.
3. Meanwhile, peel the 3-inch piece of ginger. Grate finely. Gather the grated ginger in the palm of your hand, make a fist, and squeeze to release the ginger juice into a small bowl. Hopefully you’ll have 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of ginger juice (the ginger must be very fresh).
4. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid. Transfer to a food processor and purée until very smooth, slowly adding the cooking liquid until all the liquid is used. Add the ginger juice and cream and process until incorporated.
5. Gently heat the soup before serving, adding a few tablespoons of broth or water if it seems too thick. Serve with the roasted carrots slices.