Use this as you would any pesto–toss with pasta or white beans; spread on bread for crostini; add to soups…
1/2 medium-size green or red cabbage
2 – 3 T coarse sea salt, plus additional to taste
4 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
3/4 c olive oil
1/2 c grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to the boil in a large pot. Add the 2 to 3 tablespoons of salt to the water.
2. Rinse cabbage half and drain well. Remove stems and thick veins from the leaves. Core and cut the leaves into 1-inch wedges.
3. Cook cabbage for about about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander, reserving about a cup of cooking water. Pour cold water over cabbage to stop cooking. Allow to drain and cool down.
4. Purée cabbage, garlic, olive oil, and cheese in a food processor until it begins to resemble a paste, adding as much reserved cooking water as necessary to achieve a smooth consistency. If you use a blender, you may need to chop up the cabbage even more and whizz the cabbage in batches first before adding the rest of the ingredients. Taste for salt–as the cabbage was cooked in salted water and the cheese is quite salty, more shouldn’t be necessary.
5. Use immediately or transfer to a jar and cover with a layer of olive oil. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.