Steamed, buttered potatoes make a terrific side for this.
3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
6 medium (juice) oranges, approximately
black pepper, to taste
2 lbs carrots
salt, to taste
1. Place beef chuck pieces in a large bowl. Zest the oranges to get 2 tablespoons grated orange zest. Mix with the meat.
2. Juice oranges as needed to get 2 cups juice. Pour over chuck. Add a good grinding or a good sprinkling of pepper. Mix well. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, and up to 24 hours, stirring now and then.
3. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Peel carrots, if you wish, halve lengthwise, then cut across into 1-inch pieces. Place carrots in a casserole or lidded frying pan large enough to hold all the carrot pieces in one layer. (Don’t worry if they don’t all fit.) With a slotted spoon, place meat on top of carrots. Reserve marinade.
4. Cover casserole and cook for 2 hours. Every half hour, check casserole, adding a little of the marinade if the mixture is dry. After the casserole has been in the oven 2 hours, stir the beef and carrots together, adding a sprinkling of salt as well. Continue to cook for another hour, until the meat is very tender. For the last 15 minutes uncover the casserole.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove carrots and meat to a serving platter. Put casserole on a burner on top of the stove, add remaining marinade, and cook over high heat until the sauce is thickened and syrupy. Pour over meat. Grind or sprinkle more pepper over meat, if desired.