Serve hot or at room temperature.
8 small-medium beets with greens
4 whole star anise or 1 t anise seeds or 1 t fennel seeds
1 T butter
1 T lemon juice
2 T walnut oil or olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Trim off beet greens, leaving 2 inches of stem; reserve greens. Set each beet on a square of foil large enough to enclose it. Break star anise in half and place on each square (or if using anise or fennel seeds , divide among foil packets). Crimp each packet tightly shut.
2. Set beets in roasting pan. Bake until tender, 40 to 60 minutes, or longer, depending on the age of the beets. A knife tip or cake tester should pierce the beet easily when its done.
3. Meanwhile, wash beet greens thoroughly.
4. Cool beets just until they can be handled. Open foil, discard spices. Peel beets, if desired. Halve.
5. Set greens on a rack in a steamer over boiling water. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt butter. Add beets and heat until warm.
6. Toss greens with lemon juice. Arrange on a serving platter (in a ring). Nest beets in center, drizzling beets with oil and vinegar.