Greenhouse and Salad Mix Manager
- Greenhouses (8,500 square feet):
- Maintain seed starting, transplanting and planting schedules.
- Maintain high quality standards for all seedlings and produce.
- Keep GH’s neat and orderly and maintain sanitary conditions.
- Manage the fertility of transplants and GH soils and plants.
- Monitor GH temperatures.
- Keep inventory of GH seeds and supplies and order as necessary.
- Water seedlings and beds as necessary.
- Develop weekly work plans.
- Repair and maintain GH structures, equipment and tools.
- Develop and implement a winter greens production program.
- Develop and implement a salad mix production program.
- Keep salad mix plantings weed free and harvest efficiently.
- Cultivate crops with tractors, hoes and hands.
- Monitor plants for insect, disease and fertility problems. Correct as necessary.
- Assist with CSA and farmers market harvest.
- Responsible for running the farm in the event that the owner/operators are away.
- Study the feasibility of greenhouse greens production using aquaponic, organic hydroponic, or bag culture at a location off farm where there is sufficient winter sunshine.
- Highly productive.
- Excellent physical condition and able to work 50 plus hours a week during the peak season.
- Able to maintain a positive attitude under stressful conditions.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Goal oriented with a history of achieving personal and professional goals.
- Desire and interest in managing people.
- Deep knowledge of organic greenhouse production practices for both transplant and indoor vegetable production.
- Proven ability to develop and implement cut salad greens production in both greenhouses and in the field.
- Ability to harvest greens quickly.
- At least two years of organic greenhouse and field greens production experience in a managerial/decision making position.
Hours: Full-time with more hours in the growing and harvest months.
Pay: This position pays a salary based on an hourly wage of $14. All hours worked will be compensated.
Benefits: Partial health insurance and a vegetable and fruit share.
Housing: Available locally to rent.
How to Apply:
Send a copy of your resume and cover letter along with references to the farm by post or email. If you have any questions please email email@example.com. No phone calls please.